[pct-l] poopy rocks

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 30 14:49:23 CDT 2008

Hi Amanda!

I think your reaction to the notion of poopy rocks is quite normal
and understandable... However, I'd like to chime in with some
information you might not be aware of.

Some background, first:  Each member of my family, two adults and
three children (now all adults themselves), is an Outward Bound
alumnus.  The kids each did a 30 day OB course as teenagers, and then
my husband and I did a 30 alpine mountaineering course in the San
Juan Mountains at the ages of 50 and 52 respectively.  On Outward
Bound courses, Leave No Trace is strictly adhered to.  That means no
soap, shampoo, deodorant or (gasp) toilet paper.  (The only ones
allowed toilet paper or Wet Ones are menstruating females, but at my
age I was not included in that group!).

We were taught, literally, How to Shit in the Woods.  And we did so,
absolutely by the book.  We learned to use stones, sticks, leaves,
snow ... and snow, by acclamation, was the absolute favorite of
everyone.  Where, how, how deep to dig the cat hole (except way above
timberline where one correctly smears one's feces thinly on the flat
side of a south facing rock to be quickly composted by sunlight,
because there are insufficient organisms in the soil to break down
organic matter), how to cover it, and then perform scrupulous hand
hygiene.  The very best stones to use were water-smoothed and water-
washed river stones (believe me, there was a terrible price to be
paid for using a stone that had sand clinging to it).  But one
learned to put a couple of stones in one's pack or pocket, at the
time of refilling one's water bottle at a stream, for later use ...
way way way away from the water.  The cathole is always to be dug and
used far away from campsites and water sources, and the poopy stone
or stick or leaves are buried in the cat hole.  It is 15 years since
my OB course and training, and I now carry toilet paper (which I
NEVER bury), but sometimes for old times' sake I pick up a smooth
stone or two, or harvest a couple of large soft leaves, and "do it
the Outward Bound Way."

The average hiker who has never done an Outward Bound or NOLS course
and had to do without TP for two to four weeks (!!!!) probably has a
hard time imagining that this can be liberating and satisfying.  By
the fourth week, there is no longer a sense of deprivation or anxiety
about "doing without" all the comforts and amenities that normal
people, including most backpackers, "don't leave home without."  I
can understand that, because on my first day of the Outward Bound
course, when we were told "how it  was going to be," I
hyperventilated quite a bit.  We were already way out in the woods at
that point and quitting was not a really viable option, but I was
having grave doubts about being successful at this business of
roughing it.  By the end of the third or fourth day, we were all
feeling pretty comfortable with it.  Nonetheless, I never EVER
contemplated using a pine cone.  The very thought makes me shudder.
No sticks with bark, of course, either.  Yes, indeed, snow is the best.

Happy Trails,

Two Legs