[pct-l] Light Weight Boots

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 31 01:16:29 CDT 2008

Kirk wrote:

Hoping to thru hike the PCT in 09. I have with a struggled with a variety of brands of boots that do not have large enough toe boxes and loose toe nails after my hikes. Are there any brands of light weight hiking boots that anyone recommends that have more toe box room.

I'm a fan of Lowa Renegades, but everyone's feet are different and what works for me may be horrible for you.

At any rate, I found that with the Renegades I could go with a larger size than I usually wear (11.5 vs. 10.5), get more room in the toe box, and still not slip around in the heels.  I suspect, based largely on my own experience and absolutely no scientific evidence, that a lot of people hike in shoes/boots that are actually too small for them and bumping up a half or even full size would help reduce all kinds of foot problems.  A snug fit feels secure in the store but feet often need more room than that for the long haul.

It's worth trying, anyway.

Eric