[pct-l] Seeking JMT shuttle info

R Bridges jyopilot at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:00:30 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

It's time for us to finish up the south half of the JMT (MTR-Whitney), but since we live on the east coast, the transportation is a nightmare.  Our initial plan is to enter from the east side (Piute Pass trail), leaving a car in the Whitney Portal area, with some sort of shuttle / bus transpo between the two ends - leaving the car at North Lake is also an option.  We have the additional problem of a safe place to leave the "town gear" while we're out hiking.  This leaves a couple questions for those who know the area:

1. Is there a safe place to leave a car with a some gear at either location?  (Whitney Portal or thereabouts; or North Lake)
2. Anyone know of a taxi / shuttle, etc to get from Bishop out to North Lake?
3. Any knowledge of one-way rental cars along 395? (Bishop, Ridgecrest, etc)

We've also considered coming in from Fresno with a shuttle up to MTR, but that leaves us a long way from our town gear when we finish at Whitney.  Obviously there's few pretty ways to do it, so we'd appreciate any tips from anyone with local knowledge.  Thanks for any info you can offer - if the south end of the JMT is half as good as the north end, it'll be well worth the effort.

Bob & Coleen

PS:  Thanks Dave H - your Saturday post was very helpful.