[pct-l] questions about gear for 2009

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Sun Sep 7 11:56:26 CDT 2008

Patti wrote:

I am getting stuff ready for next years trip and I was wondering if I am gonna need snow shoes, crampons, ect at all.

That totally depends on how your hiking schedule and the weather intersect.  Most thru-hikers make a point of not entering the Sierra until the snow has melted enough that they don't need snow shoes or crampons, even if they have to hang out in Kennedy Meadows for a week or more.  The traditional entrance date is 6/15, though that can obviously vary quite a bit in any specific year.

On the other hand, some people make a point of entering the Sierra early enough that they *can* use snow shoes to good effect.  I think Rolling Thunder's 2006 journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=140639 was a fairly good example of that.

Eric