[pct-l] Hiker Pack - Trail Magic in Southern WA?

Maroozer McLooper bucket_water at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 04:28:58 CDT 2008

Hello folks - thank you for your suggestions and help with us getting geared and setup for this - we had a great time and I really enjoyed driving some of those WA back roads - they seemed way better than OR back roads (maybe just me?)

Trail magic was a whomping success. We were on our way to the town of Cougar to get our permits by 5:30am~ to climb St. Helens on Monday and setting up trail magic where NF-24 crosses the PCT by 8am.  I think we may have missed 1 or 2 early early hikers, and possibly some later evening ones, but we were able to provide trail magic to 8 thru hikers and 1 sectioner (who's last child is finally in college, so this was his first section (half of WA~)).

we didn't take pictures, but they did-so it may be up on their journals in due time. We forgot the chocolate milk at home - but they drained our juice, fresh cut cantelope, cut watermelon, grapes, pears, apples, oranges, potato chips, cookies, nutterbutter bars, and a fair amount of soda, and a few people had a beer or two (unlike on the AT when generally the alcohol disappeared first [maybe the rain and countless pointless-ups-and-downs without views of mt. adams and st. helens, etc needed to be numbed]).  We were able to take folks trash and the folding camp chairs were a bit hit too! We had 4 groups and each stayed about 2 hours which was very generous of them : )

not 15~minutes after we'd set out the table and chairs and coolers we had the first group of 4. They left around 10:30 and the next group came around 11 and left at 1, then snowkitten and gazelle came around 1:30 and Michelle and Gerry shortly after them and left with snowkitten and gazelle. We packed up around 3:30. A smashing success - we plan on doing more of it in the future (but such a narrow window generally speaking!) Thanks again! good luck and happy trails to:

Glow-worm
TreeBeard
Spiff
Six Toes