[pct-l] How do you distinguish scuzzy "Hiker Trash" from a grubby "Homeless Bum"?

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 20:51:36 CDT 2008

This reminds me of my hiker trash/bum story...

I got of the trail for a few weeks due to injury in '07.  This required me
to hitch down out of the mountains towards LA from Idyllwild.  I ended up in
a McD's in Banning (not the most charming of places, and I found out
subsequently that there had been three bank robberies the week before so
everyone was a bit on edge!).  Sitting on the outdoor tables for several
hours trying to figure out where I was headed next, I was eventually
approached by a very nice woman who offered me a lift closer to LA proper.
She told me that she had seen me walking by the side of the highway earlier
and assumed I was a bum.  "Only the bums walk around here..." she said so I
asked her how she knew I wasn't one.  She went over to my pack and pointed
at my bright orange crocs.

So... all of you who say crocs have no place on the trail-- you didn't
realize that they were also secret "I'm not a bum" signals to would-be
rides!  Crocs RULE!

YITOOD,

Easy