[pct-l] Americas 10 most dangerous hikes?

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Sep 12 14:04:06 CDT 2008

I can't believe the October issue of Backpacker magazine rates the Grand
Canyon Bright Angle Trail America's 2nd most dangerous hike.
Over the last 25-30 years I have rafted and hiked every trail in the
canyon, most of them multiple times.
If there is one area that I have hiked more extensively than the Sierra,
it would be the ''Canyon.''
I have always considered the Bright Angel to be the least dangerous of
the Grand Canyon trails and we always make it a mandatory required 1st
Grand Canyon hike for our Boy Scouts in our Troop.
Don't get me wrong, with 4380 vertical feet and 100+ degree
temperatures, the Bright Angel is a tough trail, but certainly not the
toughest in the Canyon.....It has what many of the other trails don't
have....shade & water in several locations and is well defined and
heavily traveled....that is why it is known as the ''Freeway.''
There are other primitive trails in the ''Canyon,'' without shade or
water or people, which are far more dangerous than the Bright Angle.
Take the Apache Trail for instance, we had to haul 15 liters of water each.
In 100 - 120 degree heat you need lots of water....the ''Canyon'' is
very unforgiving....it tolerates no fools.

The only reason the bright Angle is ranked so high on the danger list,
above the other Grand Canyon trails, is because it is the ''Freeway''
and is heavily used by inexperienced hikers and visitors who
underestimate the trail and the heat and run into trouble.

JMT Reinhold
aka....The Canyon Rat