[pct-l] Americas 10 most dangerous hikes?

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Sep 14 13:25:32 CDT 2008

Yes,
Like most trails you do not need a permit to day hike only to overnight.
Congrat's on your one day rim-rim-rim...I have done several one day rim-rim and several one day
rim-rim-rim also.
BTW, what is the rim-rim-rim record?

JMT Reinhold
The Canyon Rat
---------------------------

Blsterfree wrote:
To my knowledge, none of the trails in GC requires a permit to hike it,
that is, to make it potentially dangerous. In fact, one could argue that
the overnight permit system makes the Canyon *more* dangerous by
encouraging day hiking to the river and back. Of the three main corridor
trails, I would assume BAT is the most popular and/or the one that
receives the most SAR incidents, evacuations, and the like, and that
that is the reason it was highlighted in the article.

In any case, I get the sense the Top 10 list is (like most) of the
"vague and impressionistic" genre, rather than something based on
definitive, correlative info. Ie, "the Maze" is a region, not a trail,
and "Mount Washington" has many trails.

Not a Canyon rat, and I don't hold the record for Rim to Rim to Rim
either. (It took me 17 hours.)

- blisterfree

>/ Blisterfree, yethinks wrong.
/>/ Judging by your reply, it appears you either have never hiked the ''Canyon, only hiked the
/>/ Bright Angel,or have not hiked the ''Canyon'' recently, because if you hiked it recently you
/>/ would know that most of the Grand Canyon trails are not only popular, but so popular that
/>/ getting a permit can be difficult.
/>/ BTW, I don't know if you ever hiked, or are familiar with the Grand Canyon Nankoweap Trail, but
/>/ for your information there have been more than one casualties on the Nankoweap Trail in recent
/>/ years.
/>/
/>/ JMT Reinhold
/>/ The Canyon Rat