[pct-l] The PCT and Consumerism

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Sep 14 14:56:52 CDT 2008

Diane wrote: After you come back you swear off consumerism and stop contributing to the economy. During you become unshaven, unclean, and despicable. When you return, you secretly wish to stay that way....
Switchback replies: Yes, that is me.  To save time, I decided a long time ago to be unshaven, unclean, and despicable all the time.  This way I am always ready for the trail.  I fit into trail life easily and smoothly.  No problem.

That was the way it was in the old days (my outings with John Muir, Norman Clyde, Kit Carson, Walker, etc.) on the future JMT/PCT.  We mountainmen were always scrubby and unkept in town and out.  The women cannot resist this.  It fires up their primeval instincts.  But I must admit there is a big danger to us hardcore backpacker mountainmen.

Remember, the movie "Paint Your Wagon"?  Ben (Lee Marvin) says in this movie to Partner (Clint Eastwood) that the most dangerous thing to man is a virtuous woman.  I am not going to explain this, but the men know what I mean.