[pct-l] Cell Phone coverage

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Mon Sep 15 14:36:32 CDT 2008

RidgeRunner,

Some folks will swear that Verizon has better coverage but I have used
both Verizon and ATT and think ATT is just as good. I use ATT
currently. Sometimes one will work but not the other, but I don't
think one is a clear winner on the PCT.

I am a bit behind on updating my web site but I maintain a PCT cell
phone report at:
http://www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html

Several hikers have been sending me cell phone updates this summer
while I was away hiking  (or swamped at work the past few weeks). Look
for new information on the cell phone report in the next week or so.

If you decide to go with something like a Blackberry, the ATT (gsm
versions) have better battery life than the cdma versions sold by
Verizon.

-Halfmile

PS - I will start posting more free PCT maps online soon too. Free
down loadable maps from the Mexican border all the way to Crater Lake,
Oregon should be ready in the next few months.