[pct-l] Water treatment question for the PCT

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 12:41:40 CDT 2008

I would second the message from Eric regarding selecting the best water to begin with.  I used a SteriPen, which is expensive, and is subject to break, but I never got sick.  That said, I often did not treat water that I deemed safe.  I also thought the best back up was simply chlorine bleach - very cheap, and very effective.

Adding a quality "pre-filter" can't hurt, although most will pass a lot of stuff through that can then clog a filter.

Sorry to hear you had to pull off the trail - that is always traumatic.

Kent