[pct-l] Stock

JOHN F PATTERSON yuppatt at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 21 12:42:24 CDT 2008

Hi Susan -
  I do not know about alternate routes over certain Sierra Passes for those with stock but I am intrigued by those who ride the P C T .
  Often , say , away from the Sierra but on the P C T - Oregon , for instance , across the face of Mt Hood - I wondered how stock could ever get through the places I barely was able to traverse as a human : trees down , boulders , earth slides , trails that had become ' escarpments ' due to winter ravages ; let alone get ' over ' those passes you mentioned - and others .
  Great good luck to you .
  Might I ask how much of the trail you plan to accomplish and how many ' stock ' , etc . ?
  In and around Mammoth Lakes / Yosemite - to the High Camps , I encountered many riders and many wranglers handling gear deliveries to wilderness locations . I loved it as I hiked north - men and women ( cowboys / cowgirls ) deftly leading strings of laden pack animals . Being from the east and not being a rider I was greatly intrigued .
  Maybe keep us up to date on the P C T List ?
           Again great good luck and happy trails ! Rafter Jack .