[pct-l] Bear Canisters

trail-name-here trail-name-here at comcast.net
Mon Sep 22 09:43:00 CDT 2008

They are not mandatory, but half the rangers in the Desolation Wilderness
(El Dorado NF) strongly suggest them, depending on where you enter.
There is a bear problem all around Tahoe, but primarily on the West side -
adjacent to Desolation.
Yesterday, I hiked from Donner to Squaw and the only bear scat I found was
behind the Fire Station at the Granite Chief trailhead in Squaw Valley
(along with the trash scattered).
I had an encounter three nights ago in the Mt. Rose Wilderness on the Rim
Trail - somewhat east of the PCT. They are active and the fires have limited
some of their forage territory.
That's all I know for certain.

Hasta la pasta.