[pct-l] food containers when you don't need a bear vault?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Sep 23 15:27:53 CDT 2008

Use freezer bags and tape them closed.  Use a lightweight stuff sack to
hold food you're not eating on the trail.  I've never had a problem with
crumbs - then again, most of the food I eat wouldn't make a difference
were it ground to pulp or not...

If you're meaning how to keep critters out of the stuffsack while
hanging it from a tree, I've never had a problem with a squirrel or
chipmunk gaining access.  If you sleep with your food, then just fight
them off!

You need a bear cannister from the southern edge of Sequoia National
Park to the northern edge of Yosemite National Park.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD