[pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking - ZipLock Bags

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 06:09:34 CDT 2008

I use ZipLock bags for supplies and gear as much as possible.? They are not fool-proof.? You do have to be careful out on the trail using them, so you do not rip out the zippers, etc.? But they are pretty nice for keeping things organized, clean, and dry.? And they are very easy to replace after a few weeks out on the trail.? Also, they are great Drift/Bounce Box items.

Another thing I do is to write with a black marker the item and weight on each ZipLock.? This way it is easy to repack in the morning, since each item has a bag.? The weights make it easy to evaluate things on the trail and their worth and if I should consider replacing them with something lighter or keep them if they work well and the weight is okay.? Always put a clear tape over the name/weight on your ZipLock, so it will not rub off on the trail.

I do not put every single item in a ZipLock.? For example, with clothes I put some items in a gallon ZipLock along with other clothes items in ZipLocks.? Works very nicely.? Do not forget the small Pill Bags you can get at the drug store.? They are great for cough drops, etc.

Speaking of drug stores, here are some individually packaged items that work great in medical kits:

1.? Tylenol = .1 ounce or 2 grams
2.? Burn Jell?= .2?ounces or 4 grams
3.? Pepto Bismol?= .1 ounce or 3 grams
4.? Advil = .1 ounce or 3 grams
5.? 5 electrolyte tablets?= .3 ounces or 8 grams? (use small Pill Bag)
6.? 3 Cold-Eeze sugar-free cough tablets = .5 ounces or 15 grams (use small Pill Bag) - I carry two of these bags

I also like to use a bright orange Spork for eating.? It weighs in at .4 ounces or 10 grams.? Another thing with using ZipLock or other?bags,?is to also write on them the expiration dates.? This is VERY handy when putting your?kit together for another adventure/expedition.? I am especially careful to do this with food items.? There are always extra food items and medicine items in your hiker box at home.? So, it is nice to have expiration dates on everything before you throw them in your pack and hit the trial with bad stuff.

Your obedient servant, Switchback the Trail Pirate