[pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking - Water Importance

virgil virgil at baloney.com
Sat Sep 27 01:47:55 CDT 2008

On Friday 26 September 2008 10:56:50 Hiker97 wrote:
<snip>
> Just for fun let's talk about our good old soft drink, Coke.
>
> #1. In many states the highway patrol carries 2 gallons of Coke in the
> trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident. #2. You can
> put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke & it will be gone in 2 days. #3. To
> clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl & let the
> 'real thing' sit for 1 hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke
> removes stains from vitreous China . #4. To remove rust spots from chrome
> car bumpers:  Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap
> aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola. #5. To clean corrosion from car battery
> terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the
> corrosion. #6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola
> to the rusted bolt for several minutes. #7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a
> can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, &
> bake. 30 minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the
> drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy. #8.To remove
> grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes,
> add detergent, & run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help
> loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

Discovery Channel's Mythbusters did a segment on coca-cola myths (many of them
listed above) and found pretty much all of them to be false, IIRC, the only
one they found true was it did make a good chrome polishing agent.

--
"I came into this game for adventure - go anywhere, travel light, get in, get
out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

Robert De Niro as Harry Tuttle in Brazil.