[pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking - Water Importance

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Sep 27 10:35:34 CDT 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 11:37 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Subject: [pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking - Water Importance

I was never more hydrated than while I hiked the PCT. Even in the
desert. I carried far too much water almost all the time. I'm talking
5.5 liters kept full as much as possible in So Cal. I carried less in
the Sierras but went back up to carrying around a spare gallon when
the forest got drier again. I drank liters of lemonade whenever I
could. Water was one of my bigger insecurities on the trail.

As a side-effect of all that water, I had to pee so much and so
urgently I was glad I hiked alone because then I could drop my
drawers in an instant.