[pct-l] Water Importance

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 00:45:23 CDT 2008

diane at santabarbarahikes.com: I was never more hydrated than while I hiked the PCT. Even in the desert. I carried far too much water almost all the time. I'm talking 5.5 liters kept full as much as possible in So Cal. I carried less in the Sierras but went back up to carrying around a spare gallon when the forest got drier again. I drank liters of lemonade whenever I could. Water was one of my bigger insecurities on the trail.  As a side-effect of all that water, I had to pee so much and so urgently I was glad I hiked alone because then I could drop my drawers in an instant.
Switchback replies: I bet there are a lot of hikers that can relate to you.  What I do not understand is the relationship of just drinking water and drinking water with electrolytes.  I wonder what the difference might be to your health and need to drink on the trail.  One thing I can say is that the biggest benefit of carrying an umbrella is how it reduces your dehydration -- lots of personal experience.  That would seem to reduce your need for water.  But I do not know how much and what is the benefits are at different temperature ranges and altitudes for hydration and drinking and umbrellas.

I have gone to protein shakes for breakfast with a food bar.  I can eat on the trail and leave camp at sun up.  Very nice way to start the hiking day.  This is a nice hydration routine.

Cheers, Switchback