[pct-l] Chaffing Skin in the Desert

Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 21:32:08 CDT 2009

Brian,
I decided to educate myself a little bit instead of just assuming I knew
how/why I have gotten chaffed in the past.  Here's what I found:

"Any activity that requires skin to repeatedly rub against skin can lead to
chafing. And moisture, either from sweat or rain, makes the problem worse."

"Slip into something slippery. In areas of repeated chafing-such as the
inner thighs or groin or under the arms or breasts-you can cut down on
friction by dusting on some powder, says Dr. Dvorine. Ointments-such as
Vaseline, Noxzema, zinc oxide ointment and cortisone cream-can likewise help
intimately close areas of skin slip past each other."

 <http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/16/193.cfm>
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/16/193.cfm

I'm still trying to figure-out how a skirt would be a good thing unless one
was hiking in a place where the humidity was high enough to where the
primary cause of chaffing was from "standing" sweaty skin as opposed to
chaffing caused by friction.  It seems that something like bikers shorts &
Body Glide in the butt crack would be the way to go rather than bare inner
thighs starting a friction fire under a kilt.

Josh