[pct-l] Night hiking and rodents in food, p.s.

Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 05:01:31 CDT 2009

Julian,
I think pretty much everyone knows, and it's been mentioned a couple times
already, the odds are astronomically low.  UR specifying DEATH...how many
"Attacks" of any kind have there been in that same timeframe?  How many
"encounters" have there been where there was no actual attack, just a
confrontation?

I'm not sure how or WHY a couple of people are exaggerating the idea of
being attacked by a mountain lion when the initial statement (which someone
has so conveniently chosen to remove from the conversation) was that a
weapon of some kind (be it a pocket knife, or pepper spray, or a gun) would
be a good thing to carry while on a solo NIGHT HIKE along with a flashlight
& compass and a couple other items.

Not sure of the exact #, but "Billy Goat does NOT have 32k PCT miles!  Just
for those who don't know who George Woodard AKA "Billy Goat" is, or have
heard of him but don't know much, here's an interesting LA Times article:
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/25/local/me-billygoat25

Josh

  _____