[pct-l] Ice Axe and Crampons

Tim Nye tnye at gmklaw.com
Fri Apr 3 19:12:30 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'm also on the trail this year, but departure delayed by overtraining - I'm
in a knee brace.  I was up at Trail Fest in Portland last week; I came away
with the conclusion that an ice axe probably is not required, especially if
you can't use it instinctively and have it off your pack, which apparently
rarely happens unless your using it to chop a foot hold.

I was really impressed with the panel on the Sierra.  I don't want to speak
for him, but Steeleye stated that he relies on his poles.  That combined
with the low snow totals pretty much convinced me to take in-step crampons
and that's it.  Incidentally, did I mention that I was impressed with the
panel?