[pct-l] alcohol (stove) bottle size for a thru-hike.

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Fri Apr 3 23:04:34 CDT 2009

Never under estimate the power of stupidity, etcetera to cause problems.

If a fuel bottle looks like a water bottle, even though it is labeled or
marked so you clearly know what it is, someone will not pay attention
and take a swig.

Using a listerine bottle or some other bottle originally used for a
non-drinkable liquid is a wise precaution.

I used to carry my white gas stove fuel in a red Sigg bottle. I've had
to tell a person that it contained fuel and was not my drinking water
even though the bottle was clearly labeled.  I've heard of a hiker
picking up someone else's plain Sigg bottle containing fuel and taking a
swig thinking the bottle was his.

A Listerine bottle would probably deter most people. Anything that is
not a reused beverage bottle and does not resemble a beverage bottle is
far better.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>