[pct-l] LAX to Walker Pass

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 17 13:06:23 CDT 2009

Carter,
Here from my journal is what I did to get from LAX to Lake Isabella
during my thruhike on May 28, 08.  The next morning I caught the Kern
Regional Transit (Google them for schedules) bus from Lake Isabella to
Onyx.  I hitched the 12 or so additional miles from Onyx to Walker Pass.

 From my journal:

"I caught the "Flyaway" shuttle from LAX to Union Station downtown. Then
a taxi delivered me to the Greyhound station. I figured the 2:10pm bus
to Bakersfield would be gone, as we reached the station about 2:15pm, so
I got a ticket for the 3:10pm bus. Fortunately, the 2:10pm bus left late
and they honored my ticket for the later bus. A good thing too, as the
later bus did not make the next connection.

At Bakersfield I had about 20 minutes before the Kern Area Transit bus
arrived. When it did RockSitter stepped off. As I greeted him, he told
me he was getting off the trail.

The ride up the Kern River canyon was spectacular, with mountains rising
steeply on both sides. Beside and below the road, the Kern River crashed
through boulders. Per signs, the river has claimed over 250 lives,
presumably among rafters and kayakers. As we climbed, I looked for
potential fords and saw none.

At the end of the trip, the driver told me to stay on the bus and
dropped me right at my very humble, somewhat overpriced abode, the Kern
Motel---shades of the fifties! I arrived at about 6pm, ending about 15
hours of travel."

Handlebar