[pct-l] water capacity and books

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Sun Apr 19 14:16:36 CDT 2009

Hello from a longtime list-lurker.

My standard carry was three 2.4 liter Platypi border to border. I
think there were maybe 6-8 instances I had to load the full 7.2L, and
that wasn't for a long distance. Most people I know carried less
capacity. The overarching reason to carry three Platypi -- you can
bank on one of them eventually leaking on you. It's just normal wear
and tear. The Cascade Designs people are very good about backing up
the lifetime guarantee, but that doesn't help you any on Hat Creek
Rim.

I never carry books on the trail. But made a good decision to deviate
from that last year. In Sierra City, the tiny library has an ongoing
booksale on the front porch. For $1 I got James Joyce "Dubliners" and
Twain's "Huckleberry Finn". These came in handy very shortly at
Quincy-LaPorte Road. Any of you who were on the trail last year
probably remember a slight delay there. I ended up spending a LOT
more time there than I figured and it was more interesting to read
than to just lie back and listen to the fire choppers and assorted
engines ....

By the way, kudos to Jellybean on the Class of 08 DVD. These
important digital records of our tribe just keep getting better every
year.

DP