[pct-l] Food for the gluten intollerant?

Rebecca Mezoff rebecca.mezoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:39:56 CDT 2009

Hi all!  I love the food discussion and enjoyed Erik the Black's blog
post about junk food.  I'm looking at a thru hike in 2011, and have
had a monkey wrench in my trail diet in the last few years.  I was
diagnosed with celiac disease which means I'm gluten intolerant and
can't eat anything with wheat, barley, rye, or oats.  Unfortunately
that means I can't partake of the pancake challenge or belly up to the
pizza bar in South Lake Tahoe.  In fact it really complicates a lot of
things.  It is heartening to know that there are people out there who
exist on Snickers though!  Snickers are completely gluten free (as are
several other candy bars--almost all energy bars have gluten in them.
Larabar is an exception, but they only have about 120 calories each as
they are primarily made of dates... I need more calories for the
weight, and a little fat would be good too).  I was diagnosed after my
thru-hike of the Colorado Trail where I used ramen stuffed with just
about everything... now it is a whole new ball game.

Does anyone know any long distance hikers who are gluten intolerant?
I'd love to talk to them.
Thanks!
Rebecca