[pct-l] pct southbound 2009 (food)

jonathan king jwking at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:34:46 CDT 2009

I've been doing some research on how many calories a backpacker expends per
day on a thru hike. The numbers seem to point to 5,000 to 6,000.
Questions:
Do you all try to carry / consumer that much on trail or make up the deficit
in town?
Do you calculate food needs by calorie or pound?
How much do you carry in calories or pounds for a thru hike (per day)?
Does this differ as the hike progresses?

I'm 6'2" 165 (i.e. not too much to spare)
Eating strategies for not turning in to a skeleton?

Thanks!

jonathan