[pct-l] Mileage planning

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu Aug 6 23:23:24 CDT 2009

As the trail-months go by, you grow stronger. Start slow and let your body
get used to hiking day in and day out. There's no hurry.

Plan your schedule for it. As you hike along, work out the "bugs" of
blisters, tendon pain, uncomfortable shoes and packs, and so forth. By about
week three, you'll be feeling pretty strong (or you'll be miserable and
thinking of heading off-trail to seek expert help and advise). At this point
your daily mileage can increase without too much strain on the body. Let
your body dictate how far you can go. It's natural to self-assess daily. If
high mileage is your thing, try sun-up to sun-down and see how it feels.
Don't rely on anti-inflamitories and mild pain killers to get you through in
chronic use. If your body is hurting, take time off to let it heal. If your
schedule can't handle it, meaning if you take too much time off you'll never
reach Canada before the snow flies, you might have to leave the trail for
the season. If you heal, work yourself back to the mileages you need, but
don't push it.

Some people can do high mileage. Some don't want to. Some high-mileage folks
can't do slow days; it's just not their style, the gear they like to hike
in. Find out before you plan your thru hike what kind of hiker you are or
want to become. The fun of the hike can be lost if you try to become what
you're not.

Mtnned