[pct-l] Trail Maintenance Idea

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 12:30:59 CDT 2009

Hey Gang!
I had an idea a ways back on the PCT and after passing it along to other thru's, I thought it worth mentioning here.
How about a pair of Brush Clippers be left at the edge of the overgrown sections of the trail. They could be painted brightly and perhaps a note attatched explaining the concept:  "PCT shears.. Donate your time as you hike along and leave them for the next hiker."
All the thru's and section hikers I mentioned this to agreed they would gladly donate some time towards this goal. An area such as the overgrown section above Belden, for instance, could be cleared as hikers pass through by the hikers themselves.
I am not talking about a machete here.. Just some garden loppers.
Of course somebody is going to bring up the liability issue.. So I think it would sorta have to be a "pirate" program..(Get it, Pirate instead of Pilot?!)
Anyhow,  it is just a thought.
Hey, Does Golite make a pair of Lopping Shears?
Cheers-Iceaxe
Sent from the Trail on my Peek