[pct-l] Lonetrail

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Fri Aug 14 20:46:48 CDT 2009

Lonetrail and I emailed often about trail lore and our adventures in the
wilderness. I met him once at the ADZKO in '07, and I built him a Mad Pika
stove system for his wilderness kitchen. I'm lucky to have known him, and
I'm proud to him know he continued his pursuit of wilderness adventure until
the bitter end. He has been a personal inspiration in my life, and I will
miss him. Here is a photo of Al Mader I borrowed from Monte Dodge. Life is
short, never give up your spirit and dreams of adventure.
 http://www.pbase.com/image/78867080
~~~~
I found a reflection in my archives from Lonetrail, circa 6/06, where he
commented about what it takes to leave the trail:

"On the AT almost every time I crossed a Gap, that's a Pass on the PC there
would be a trail angle or a Motel owner waiting to try to take you to town
and
a  promise to drive you back the next morning. I even had a preacher wanting
to take me to church.if not I would end up in hell. Then the other  saying
"Beer is on Ice just waiting for you". On the PC injury, weather,  and just
plain
worm out or maybe women."

It's never easy to know another lover of wilderness, another voice promoting
the long trail, is gone....

Mtnned