[pct-l] R.I.P. Lonetrail

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 00:13:18 CDT 2009

Meadow Ed here.

I think we can all say that in a time like this when we lose a fellow hiker on the PCT we all take a moment to pause and reflect. As hikers if we were in the military we would all gather at the grave and listen to a 21 gun salute and taps being played and watch as the flag was being folded. This is however not what we do here on PCT-l yet we mourn our losers here as deeply as if he were a KIA person.  We all hurt inside because we have been here before and this is not our first lost hiker. We already see in these posts today how we feel that a hiker has die doing a hike.

For you new comers to PCT-l all i can say is, this is our time to come together and bid Lonetree a good by, you do not even need to have know him to mourn him. He is you and i and our friends who hike this PCT trail that we all love. We can say , here is a hiker who died with his boots on like in the old western stories we all read as children. Or even, Gee what a way to go, better then dieing at home, yes i suppose so.

Many of you folks who will read this post are folks who's son or daugther or whoever they may be never realized that hiker child or friend of theirs  was going to become a family member of a large and extended family who cares for them as much as you do at home. We may not know you but we knew Lonetree as one of us. So you need to realize that "your' hiker is also "our" hiker...

RIP my friend.