[pct-l] Shelter Stakes

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 08:58:43 CDT 2009

Sean the Red wrote:?MI may be a little paranoid, but when I set up my hiking kit, I always think of a cold blowing rain.
inor typo correction: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/? Thanks for yet another great tip, Switchback. :)? null null Rain Mitts are also awesome (only 34 grams for a large pair).? Combine 'em with a?? pair of null gloves (39 grams for a large pair) and you're set!

Switchback replies: Thanks for the correction.? Basically, I am a chicken and paranoid out on the trail.??When I set up my hiking kit, I always think of a cold blowing rain.? I design everything for the worst possible situation I can think of out there.?

For example, I know that my 2.5 pound MSR solo freestanding tent with carbon fiber poles will make a great shelter set up in almost any weather situation.? I know that my small solar umbrella with 5 ounce rain jacket with hood and 2 ounce rain wrap for my legs will be excellent for walking in the rain.? I use simple Gortex mitts over Mountain Hardware liner gloves.? Nice warm light set up in a strong rain - my hands are really out there with the two Gossamer Gear balancing poles, so I especially want them protected.

I keep my rain gear (clothes, pack cover) in the outer pockets of my Mariposa Plus pack for quick easy access.? I cannot tell you the terror on my face when I hear the storm front marching through the forest toward me.? I know I have only about 30 seconds to get my gear on.? It is an amazing sound.? I use 2.5 gallon ZipLock backs (get at Walmart) inside my pack to organize things in layers.? Then I use smaler ZipLock bags inside the 2.5 gallon bags.?Very nice system - bug proof, dirt poof, water proof and light weight organization excellence.

When I am out on the trail at my age, my mind does not work right.? Everything has to be super simple and easy or I get confused.