[pct-l] SPOT - 2nd generation model

Cris cj5w4wd at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 23 13:11:37 CDT 2009

Thanks for the Spot update.  These improvements are really necessary as they
correct some of what I would consider flaws in the design.  The light
flashing sequence was so confusing and hard to remember that much of the
time I couldn't tell whether my message went through or not.  It was not a
very intuitive device to use but because mom is in her 90's and a chronic
worrier at that, I had little choice.  Funny though, my last message that
would indicate I was safe and sound at the West Walker Motel did not go
through--even though I got the "acknowledgement" signal I had relied on the
whole trip.  What that meant to the person giving mom my "OK" status is that
I caught a ride at Sonora Pass and disappeared off the planet.  He didn't
tell mom, but he was pretty upset.  Many of you may know that Walker does
not have cell phone service.  The WW Motel will let you use their phone but
I only called mom and she didn't bother to share the news!  Ish!  Sometimes
technology just makes things worse!

I won't consider another Spot until they put a display on it to show the
user where they are.

Cris
...mountains don't tolerate fools...