[pct-l] Trail Maintenance Idea

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Aug 25 10:59:10 CDT 2009

Seeing the thread on this topic, I thought it best to ask the head of trail
operations for the PCTA, Mike Dawson, what his thoughts were on the
suggestion below.  Here's his response:

Donna, I received the proposal that you picked up on PCT-L.  I am always
glad to hear that thru-hikers and section hikers want to give of themselves
to keep the trail in shape for other hikers.  There is so much that hikers
can do to help keep the trail in good shape including throwing fallen debris
and rocks off the trail tread, staying on the tread and not creating
damaging bootleg trails just to keep one's feet dry and mud free, doing a
good job of reporting problems on the trail (which is more easy these days
for folks carrying GPS units).  We are always happy to have hikers offer to
join in on PCTA sponsored crews that they might run into.  There might even
be a free meal involved!  We rarely have much luck interrupting hiker's
experiences with this kind of impromptu opportunity.  I have always been
surprised that there aren't requests for work projects specifically set up
for thru hikers.  I know that they enjoy having the opportunity to get out
in the woods with fellow long distance hikers, and on the PCT we really have
a need for crews with the capability to be out on the trail for several days
at a time and willing to hike into the more remote portions of the Trail to
work on sections in need of rehabilitation.  Now that we will have almost
the entire trail covered with regional PCTA offices as of November, there
are more opportunities than ever to set up long distance hiker projects all
along the PCT.  Anyone interested in such an endeavor can drop me a line at
mdawson at pcta.org.  Of course we have dozens of trail work opportunities for
which we are currently trying to fill crews.  If you are interested you can
contact Jennifer at jtripp at pcta.org or go to PCTA's web site at www.pcta.org

Mike Dawson
PCTA

I hope this message inspires folks out there to join a volunteer trail crew!

L-Rod