[pct-l] Hunting near the PCT in northern California?

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Aug 26 13:01:43 CDT 2009

One of the scariest things I've encountered on any of my hikes just happened
north of Sierra Buttes, not far from Quincy/LaPorte Road.  Buckwheat and I
were camped on a saddle, not far from a jeep road. Early in the morning, as
I was sitting on a log having my tea, I saw a figure moving on the road,
between the trees. He moved very stealthily, and had something on his feet
that eliminated the sound of his footfall.  As he got closer, I could see
that he was dressed in camouflage from head to toe.  His entire face was
obscured by black netting, though I could see that he had a full beard.  In
his left arm he carried a huge crossbow.  When I asked him if it was bow
hunting season, he merely nodded and continued down the road silently.  The
funny thing is, Buckwheat thought I was talking to her, and answered me back
saying she wasn't sure, so we two started a noisy chat on the topic that I'm
sure Mr. Bowhunter wasn't at all happy about.

Though I'm sure he is just a regular guy, his dress, armament, and stealthy
silence were as eerie and frightening as anything I've ever seen, and I
don't think I've ever felt quite so vulnerable on the trail.

L-Rod