[pct-l] Deer hunting

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 11:36:11 CDT 2009

We've had the opening of deer season while hiking in France, too. Though in most cases we keep a low profile (in regard to non-hikers) when on the trail, when we hear shotguns being fired nearby, we call out "Hikers here," or similar, just to alert the hunters of our presence. It is nerve wracking! The good news is that hunters usually seem to stick pretty close to their cars, so the further away you are from roads, the better.
Susan "Backpack45" Alcorn

Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/x-11423-Bay-Area-Hiking-Examiner
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.