[pct-l] 10 top winners

Dave and Cindy hikeon at surewest.net
Thu Aug 27 15:30:06 CDT 2009

One of the top ten item of advise would be to take Ned Tibbet's Snow Clinic
Course!!!  It is very, very helpful and builds much confidence when crossing
snow fields through out your hike.  As you might have read the recent post
on this list from a CDT hiker "Out of Order" that has encountered lots of
snow on his thru hike this year and his statement about taking Ned's course
and feeling confident.
My husband and I also took the course this past April and there was a huge
difference in my confidence level from the first day to last.  It helped
reinforce the things that I knew about self arrest and glissading by having
someone there watching to see if I was actually using the correct
techniques.  Once you know that you can use an ice axe correctly and have
practiced several times until it becomes second nature you will enjoy the
snow fields along the way a lot more and not fear them.
Maybe we will see you out there as we are planning another thru next year
too!
Zelda