[pct-l] 10 top winners

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 16:16:25 CDT 2009

My main advice is to make sure you like backpacking to hike.

Sounds odd, but many people who attempt their first long hike
LOVE to backpack so they can camp.

Walking all day, every day, for 4-5 months is not necessarily
everyone's cup o' tea and is found out the hard way.

Do you enjoy hiking all day?  Or you do you prefer to be
in camp early, kick back by the lake and get a later
start in the morning?

Neither choice is bad..but if you are thru-hiking (esp. the PCT),
be sure you enjoy the hiking part of backpacking as well.

A great way to see if you enjoy the hiking aspect of backpacking as well as the
camping aspect is to get in a shakedown hike if your schedule permits.  Not
only will you see if enjoy walking 15+ miles (or more) a day every day, but
you get to break in your gear and setup...and its fun!

I am not sure where you live, but there are three wonderful hikes you can do in the PCT corridor alone.

The John Muir Trail (210 miles or so).  Better do that one soon, though. :)
The Wonderland Trail (95 miles..very doable in a vacation. Loop trail. Season is ending fairly soon as well)
The Tahoe Rim Trail (165 miles. Doable well into Fall. A loop trail as well. Easy logistics!)
Ring Mt Hood (40 miles or so. )

....or string together your own route

So my advice is basically. Hike. Hike some more. And hike still more. :)

All the advice about the PCT is nice. But, at the core, you really should see if enjoy hiking all day.

Good luck...and happy trails!

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art