[pct-l] Tarps + tarptent = Duomid

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 04:38:47 CST 2009

I have always been a big fan of pyramid tarps for hard conditions and
the Duo-mid would probably be my first choice when gail force winds
and snow are a possibility.

I have a SMD Gatewood cape that I use from time to time. It is unusual
for a poncho tarp in that it is a pyramid design, not a flat tarp
design like most ponchos. It can be pitched close to the ground on all
sides, reducing wind blown rain.

My hiking partner used it last weekend in 40 to 60 mph winds and was
very impressed. I was in a shaped  a-frame tarp. Neither of us had
issues and slept OK considering the wind noise.
Others had major problems with their shelters, broken poles, caved in
walls and extremely noisy flapping. Of course they were in your
typical free standing dome car camping type tents which are not meant
for such conditions.