[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book??

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 08:50:01 CST 2009

Just another take on the guidebooks...  In 2006 I very much enjoyed having the guidebooks with me.  Each night after I finished my journaling I found it enjoyable to read the "wordy" descriptions of the route that I would be travelling the next day.  I enjoyed the descriptions and enjoyed learning a bit more about the area that the the trail would travel through.  And, given that I am not a gram weenie, I had no issues packing the extra weight.  As far as Yogi's guide, I did not find it to be of any value on the trail, however, her town guides were very useful for California.  I also carried the Tom Harrison maps for the High Sierra given that 2006 was a high snow year, but to be honest, didn't find myself referring to these much at all.  Preferred the guidbook maps and compass.

I do agree that the guidebooks and data books are a bit misleading with regards to elevation profiles if you are utilizing them for that purpose, but heck, we all know we are going to be doing a lot of climbing and descending so I did not find this to be a big deal as I preferred the ups and downs as opposed to the long flat sections.

Having viewed the Atlas book briefly this past year, I might consider this tool on my next thru-hike of the PCT though.  Good stuff.

Elevator