[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book??

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Tue Dec 1 12:07:29 CST 2009

Here is the thing about navigating the PCT...

It is rare to get "completely lost" on the PCT. Navigation is usually not
particularly "dangerous". Of course it can be dangerous if you don't pay
attention to where you are, allow yourself to get too far off-trail, panic
in uncertain situations, or if you are too proud or stubborn to re-trace
your footsteps when you suspect you may be off-track.

But, for the most part, navigating the PCT is more frustrating than it is
dangerous. For about 80% of the route the trail is well traveled and well
marked and no problem at all. But the other 20% is faded, crosses and
follows a lot of unmarked dirt roads, is obscured by dirt bike tracks, soft
sand, rock slides, snow, fire breaks, etc.

It's not uncommon to come to a place where the trail simply "disappears" and
you have no clue where to go. There will be no sign, no blazes, no cairns,
no footprints (except those going in every direction from everybody who got
lost in the same place before you) and nobody to ask for directions.

In this case you need either a guidebook or a good set of maps to get back
on track. Which one is best, I think, depends most on your personal style of
learning and consuming information. If you are a verbal learner and you like
reading and following directions, then the guidebook will suit you fine.

It will say something like this (taken from the SoCal guidebook):

"Bound for Soledad Canyon, the PCT descends northward from the BPL road,
initially just under Santa Clara Divide Road, but soon far below it, on a
diagonaling descent on steep rocky hillsides above Mill Canyon".

If that makes sense to you, you're all set.

But if you are like me, and you are a visual learner, that doesn't help.
When I read that my brain instantly turns to oatmeal and my blood pressure
starts to go up. I prefer to see a picture, so that's why I like maps.

But whatever your preference it is a good idea to bring some sort of
navigation aid, just for the sake of maintaining your sanity.

For the last two years when I was a vendor at the Kickoff I have met
thru-hikers who told me they managed to get lost in the first 20 miles from
the border to Lake Moreno...

And I'm not saying that to demean them in any way, because I've done the
same thing! If you don't pay very close attention to where you are walking,
the PCT can throw you a curveball when you least expect it. Sometimes it's
just a matter of taking the wrong fork in the road or inadvertently going
down a side trail and not knowing you have left the trail until 3 miles
later.

But, for the most part, the way you approach navigation on PCT will affect
your peace of mind more than anything else. You will either be calm, happy
and confident or uncertain, frustrated and annoyed. But rarely will you find
yourself in a "life or death situation" that you can't get out of.

The best advice I can give is just to choose whatever you think will work
best for you to start out with, and then don't be afraid to make adjustments
and replacements along the way if it doesn't do what you thought it would.

Best of luck!

Erik the Black
Author & Publisher
Pacific Crest Trail Atlas