[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book??

Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 12:54:13 CST 2009

That's so funny, and yet I KNOW the frustration of "Dammit, the trail should
be RIGHT HERE!". Only to find-out that I was only feet away from what I was
looking for! Lmao.  It's amazing sometimes what a "bump" can hide. lol

I agree that having a map or map book AND COMPASS is one of the essentials
of ANY extended backcountry activity.  Along with at least 1 paper copy of
whatever & a compass, I use a GPS with lithium batteries...I think I have
this as much for it's functionality as a navigation tool, as I do a toy.  At
night I play with its many features, track my progress, GPSync my pictures,
and have access to astronomical events.  Oh, and I also use it's 'older'
maps so that I can diverge from the "New" PCT, and hike the "Original" PCT
where, for whatever reason, they are different.  Not that I'm blazing any
"new" trail, but I feel a sense of adventure & a connection to the past
(albeit, usually not all that far removed) where I share the trail with
those from years past which has been "forgotten" by more recent hikers.
It's also great for planning 0-days near cool features that I might have
never known about otherwise (hot springs, caves, mines, and other cool
stuff).

I do think that there is something to be said about NOT being 100% reliant
on electronic devices for survival! I would NEVER entrust my life to a GPS
or SPoT or anything like that.  Besides the obvious like battery failure,
it's not that hard to imagine a fall where the device could be broken.  It's
pretty hard to fall hard enough to break a map book. lol

I KNOW that there are those who will have the urge to make posts like "I
wouldn't carry something that heavy"...and the like...but as I said, it's as
much a distraction and toy as it is a tool.  And it damn well better be for
the almost $1k that I spent on it & its maps! Lmao!

Josh