[pct-l] Angeles Crest Highway Reopens

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 14:06:59 CST 2009

It's strictly in the realm of fantasy (sort of like recovering Hetch Hetchy
Valley), but it is fun to imagine what the San Gabriels were like before the
highway was completed in the '50s. Descriptions of the great hiking era
(1920s and '30s), with frequent forays into the front range and occasional
treks deep into the wilderness (now easily reached by car), sometimes make
me wish the San Gabriels were still as "rigidly inaccessible" as they were
when John Muir visited.