[pct-l] Maps

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 1 20:22:11 CST 2009

>>Right but not having a map might turn a mishap into an ordeal or even
>>a search and rescue event.

>>I'm a big fan of HYOH but I don't have a problem shaming hikers who
>>don't carry a map. I wish I had a snickers bar for  every time a map-
>>skeptic asked to see my map or answer a map related question.

Indeed.  People will say you don't need maps..then they'll ask to look at the maps. :)

With Half-Mile's excellent (and free!) maps, there is no real reason to not have them:
http://www.pctmap.net/

Set to be out in total by 2010.

(You do have to print them out, of course)

Don't forget the databook. Ounce for ounce and dollar for dollar it is a great resource. Easy to eyeball what is  coming up
at a glance...and an easy way to eyeball water.

Over Turkey Day weekend, a few repeat offenders and I were saying if we did a long trail again, it would be the PCT.

Not because it is our favorite one (it is so hard to choose a favorite!) but because i the combo of views, solitude or community when needed,
and is truly a long distance hiking trail in feel and function.  (The CDT is more of a route. I loved it..but man, was it hard..esp mentally!)

When I do it again, I'll take:

Half-mile's Maps
The Databook
Yogi's Book

The beauty of so many different resources though is that it is very easy to make a set of information for YOU. Tom Harrison maps,
USFS maps, Erik's Atlas, the guidebooks...it's all good.

And they all fit different modes, criteria and what works for you.

(But do take a map!)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art