[pct-l] JMT Query from AT Forum

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 06:17:49 CST 2009

"Can you shed any light on this whole California treatment I sensed I was
getting from people in Oregon? Why don't they like Californians?"

I'm not Ellen, but ...
When I was a youth growing up in Oregon there was a certain dislike felt for
Californians who move up north and buy (for us) really expensive houses.
Their real estate prices were higher, and at that time at least, to avoid
paying capital gains taxes from selling a modest home in CA, they would buy
a house of equivalent cost in OR, getting a relative mansion.    We had
"Oregon Ungreeting cards" to send to out of staters to encourage them to
come visit and bring their tourist dollars, but not to stay.   I imagine
some of this overall idea persists.

Not difficult to do an internet search and come up with some ideas about
this, such as:
http://www.oregonlive.com/century/1970_intro.html

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle