[pct-l] california treatment

canoeman at qnet.com canoeman at qnet.com
Fri Dec 4 13:15:52 CST 2009

I have seen this particularly obnoxious behavior in many places, being from
Canada, I saw it directed towards Americans who bought what locals saw as
ostentatious summer cabins, causing resentment which is just covert jealousy.
I saw it when visiting the west coast of Canada, being directed towards eastern
Canadians, for exactly the same reasons.
I saw it on the east coast of the USA being directed towards westerners.
It stands out like a beacon in California being directed towards southern
Californians (kind of absurd for some one who lives in San Fransisco to Resent
big city southerners when they live in a big northern city). Northern
Californians have perfected what I call "Baseless Resentment Syndrome" against
southern Californians, and so it goes for Oregon, and Washington state.
I find that where ever I go, the self perpetuating, and usually baseless "BSR"
flourishes just under the surface, against someone, somewhere.
I have met total jerks from my home country Canada, both east and west,and
people who I found simply a wonderful  gift to have met, the same goes for the
east coast, the west coast, southern and northern California, I've met them in
in Oregon, and Washington state .
It can, spread like a virus and digs in, for no other reason then it just is
that way, and has always been that way.
When ever I hear some one say "there's one of those southern Californian
pricks", or "there's one of those Californian pricks", and so on and so on, I
kind of feel sad for them, harboring all that fear, resentment and un-necessary
baggage.
Resentment and prejudice, hate, weigh heavily on the soul.
I find it a constant battle being honest with myself, and seeing these traits
in
myself.
It's easier to shed this baggage, like a heavy pack at the end of the day, it
feels wonderful after you do it.
I try harder everyday to be more understanding, and to be kinder to people who
who I would normally dismiss and  then mutter something rude or offensive.
It not easy, I'm not perfect, but I'm trying..
be kind first, it's a wonderful feeling.

but this is just my humble opinion.........

Canoeman.