[pct-l] Carrying a SPOT for the rest of us

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 10:07:14 CST 2009

My 2 cents worth, FWIW - some thoughts on various comments in recent posts regarding the SPOT device:

> ...whether you like SPOT depends on what you want out of it.

Exactly!  Personally, I don't look at SPOT as an emergency device - SPOT is simply another way of communicating to family & friends...

> If you just want to be able to let people back home know you're okay...

Not just that you're "okay", but showing your LOCATION, too, which can be seen via link to Google Maps (use satellite view for best effect) - 'sharing' my trek with them...

> What is amazing to me is the response of family and friends following Spot users.
> From the guestbook entrys and emails I've received it really kept folks deeply connected to 'their' hikers.
>
> The intense impact on non-hikers was completely unexpected.

I think the SPOT messages (and Postholer Journal interactive Google Map) let the non-hikers 'experience' more of the trek - 'sharing' more intimately (and 'immediately') in the journey...

My tentative plan for using a SPOT (gen 2): Check in twice daily from the trail - during a midday break and at each night's campsite...
The 2nd generation SPOT has 2 message buttons - the "OK" button would be used for midday break, probably sent to family only;
the "custom message" button would be used at each nightly campsite, sent to family, a few friends, and my Postholer Journal (other friends would be given link to PH Journal and SPOT 'share' page)...
The "Help" button would let my wife know I should be calling home within 24 to 36 hours after some of the longer 'out of touch' (phone/email) trail segments...
This could change, of course, between now and 'then' - perhaps other more advanced or more affordable technology will arise in the meantime...
"Wait and see" (but if I were attempting a PCT thru in 2010, SPOT would probably be with me)...

> ...several users on the AT said it really didn't work for them.

The 2nd generation SPOT has a better GPS chipset and an improved antenna that should be much better (including under 'some' tree cover) than the original SPOT, which is what '09 hikers were using (Gen 2 SPOT was just released November, 2009)...
I will probably still wait, however, to purchase a 2nd gen SPOT until some thorough reviews are released - but I feel it will satisfactorily suit my 'needs' as a communications device...

YOMV, HYOH, etc., yada-yada...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: http://www.pcta.org/

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."  - Mahatma Gandhi