[pct-l] Tarps + tarptent = Duomid

LOUIE KROLL louie.kroll at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 22:39:09 CST 2009

I suspect the tarp option can be boiled down to three simple factors:

1)  Are you skilled enough to pitch a flat piece of waterproof fabric
under these conditions:
    a) Do you know how to choose a good campsite (i.e. out of the
weather, away from widow makers, clear of rain runoff, etc)?
    b) Do you have a strategy for dealing with the bugs (individual bug
shelters are widely available and weigh next to nothing)?
    c) Will what you do be able to handle extreme weather (snow,
horizontal wind/rain)?

2) Can you tie a knot?
    a) You may consider the Bowline, the Trucker's Hitch, Figure Eight
on a Bight and the Half Hitch as essential.  The Clove Hitch, the Square
Knot and the Fisherman's Knot would also be useful.

3) Is your system complete?
    a)Your tarp is one thing, but do you have the ground cloth, do you
have the requisite stake strategy, do you have the appropriate guy
lines, etc...

A tarp is a lot of fun and it is very versatile.  And herein lies the
most important piece of advice you will ever receive in the tarp/tent
debate.  You rarely need shelter.  My spring loaded bug shelter allows
me to sleep on a rock or by the lake and I never have to concern myself
with pitching a tent and going to all of that trouble of throwing up a
tarp because all that I'm worried about at night is not the rain or the
snow- it's the mosquitoes.  If your tent is your bug shelter then you
are forced to pitch her almost every night.  On the other hand with my
bug shelter, tarp combo I mostly never sling my tarp up unless weather
is imminent, which saves me both the set up and the take down time.