[pct-l] Sleeping with food everywhere except the Sierra???

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 13:45:07 CST 2009

For my own peace of mind I've replaced my old nylon stuff sacks with one Ursack to carry all my food stuffs in when hiking outside the canister restrictions.  I think canisters are pretty much the norm now in the Sierra.
As a side note, On my recent Fall trek in the Sierra I used the Ursack, and was really glad I had some protection as I was really surprised at the amount of bear sign I was seeing in the high country.  I saw tracks on every pass including Taboose, Cartridge, and Mather, as well as along most of the trail I used, high or low.
I've hiked now with the Ursack a few times in areas I don't worry too much about and have never known of any bear problems where canisters are not required.  Probably slept a little easier.  I've used nothing but my regular sleeping bag stuff sacks for most of the last twelve years without any issues, but I can say I've worried a few times even though I'm hella good at countering the sacks.  I rarely stayed below 11,000 feet but sooner or later i've had to to complete some big loop hikes.
I have also used the hideous ABS black canisters.  Gosh I hate carrying those things.  But the bottom line there, and I think this is really important, you can throw down and camp, or wander around anywhere and not worry about being hassled by bears or the man. There is actually a sense of freedom involved with using a canister.  Still have to be careful not to place them where they can be knocked away and gone down a creek or ledge.