[pct-l] CA section E

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 10:36:25 CST 2009

Sorry I'm 'late' on this topic...

>From Jean:
> I have a question about CA section E. I understand that an agreement has been made with Tejon Ranch and that the trail will be rerouted off the desert
> floor. That's great news! I'm wondering when the new trail will be ready to go.

>From L-Rod:

 Normal
 0

 false
 false
 false

 EN-US
 X-NONE
 X-NONE

 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

> Both the conservation easement language and the exact location of the trail are still being negotiated.  It is too premature to know when that process will
> be complete.  Upon completion, the actual trail will need to be built (in the ballpark of 40+ miles). The reroute completion is years off.

I've communicated with other PCTA individuals (in addition to L-Rod) and I'd like to pass along a little more info - though it may sound somewhat vague since
it is so very early in the agreement 'process' - but there are some points to ponder and one can easily see it might take many years...
I have been highly interested in the Tejon reroute since the 'agreement' was announced - my main concerns being water access along the reroute plus the
acquisition of property or easements to tie into the current PCT route, especially at the northern end...
Work is ongoing to find an exact alignment of the trail through Tejon Ranch, plus the easement situation between Tejon Ranch and Tehachapi-Willow Springs
Road. The PCTA has been in communication with community members in the area North of Tejon Ranch - about both the local concerns of the PCT near or
on their property, plus finding solutions to problems in that same area, especially the illegal OHV use...
Once an agreed upon trail routing is finalized, then the Forest Service must conduct required environmental studies before any trail construction begins...
The PCTA is also making sure the Tejon trail routing will have water sources within 1/4 mile of "designated camping locations" (please remember the 'agreement'
is supposed to be part of a huge 'preserve'!)...

I'd also like to second L-Rod in recognizing the fantastic job the PCTA staff and the USFS have done for the PCT in this endeavor - to move the trail where it
rightfully belongs, up on "the crest"... A hearty "THANK YOU" to all those involved!

I eagerly look forward to helping build this trail segment while I'm still physically capable... Then, to hike it, of course!!
Even though it may be many years away for completion, the foundation is in place that it will be done in my lifetime... Sweet!!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: http://www.pcta.org/

"Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul."  - Edward Abbey