[pct-l] Cooking Within (addendum)

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Dec 7 13:44:04 CST 2009

Good morning,

For experienced PCT hikers willing to participate, PCT-L is an opportunity
to answer questions.  It is also an opportunity – and often an obligation --
to question answers.  This is such an opportunity.
I don’t believe it is ever advisable to use a stove of any type in an
enclosure such as a tent.  Beyond any possibility of the fire getting out of
control inside the tent, carbon monoxide poisoning is a real threat.  Stoves
that use solid fuel or one-shot alcohol will possibly go out before carbon
monoxide can accumulate to deadly levels, but other stoves contain
considerable fuel and could burn for an hour without attention.
After a hard day’s hike in cold or inclement weather a snug, warm tent
absolutely begs one to close the eyes and have a rest waiting for the water
to boil.  Falling asleep with a well-fueled stove burning creates a very
high risk that the sleeper will never awake.
Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09